Sunday 17 November 2013

Flowers of Hope: Our Son's Recovery



Last month, we received a call that we had waited a long time for. Our son was finally going to receive the help that he needed. He sounded so happy and hopeful when he told us the news.  I couldn’t stop crying (happy tears) and shaking. Mike smiled with relief. We couldn’t believe it was finally happening.

Since he started treatment, our son’s life has improved drastically. He is planning his future. He is working full-time. He is healthy. He is back.

We always told our son that the greatest gift he could give us (and himself) is recovery. That is all we ever wanted because when your child is sick, nothing else matters. Today, we have that special gift and are so grateful.   

This week, my son gave me another gift – a bouquet of flowers – that he hand-delivered to my office. I was moved to tears. While it is a joy for any mother to receive a thoughtful gift from her child, this bouquet was symbolic of so much more than his love (which is a blessing on its own). It represented hope. It represented his recovery. It represented the stability he's found in life. It represented his calm mind. It represented the money in his pocket that is not going on pills. It represented all that I have prayed for all these years – to have our son back.

Our son is still very early in his recovery and by no means out of the woods. If tomorrow brings bad news, we will deal with it. For now, though, we are embracing every minute of his success. In our house, we have learned to live one day at a time, and today is a very good day.

Sincerely,
Rose

8 comments:

  1. I am so happy for all of you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gives me such hope. I pray for your family, Rose, that this will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say "where there is life there is hope". If you are going through this with a loved one, don't ever give up hope. We've waited a long time for this and are so grateful. Thank you for your prayers. I pray that it continues as well!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to hear that your son got help. You and your family deserve some good news. You have inspired and helped so many people... now it is your turn to have your prayers answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post has touched my heart. Thank you! I hope that the prayers of many families will be answered soon.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Please be advised that comments are moderated.